Monday, November 29, 2010

Rachel Shares Some Thoughts on Meal Group

Hi there!  I'm Rachel, and I'm the third member of Suburban Vegan Meal Group.  The reasons I joined up with the lovely Jennifers were as simple as variety, economy and community.   
 
First, variety.  I don't know about you, but there is something about cooking for a larger group of people (especially when they are as good at cooking, baking etc as both Jennifers are) that really makes you step up your own game.  I've tried a lot of recipes that I would never make for just my partner and myself.  Plus, there is the HUGE bonus of no leftovers. Instead of making a large recipe and eating the same thing over the course of 3 days, now I get to share my meal with awesome friends and have something fresh and exciting the next day (though leftovers make the best lunches).  And of course there is all the variety that my Meal Grouping cohorts bring to the table.  I'm not as comfortable with lasagnas as Jenn G is, so where for me lasagna is a whole day endeavour with lots of cursing, thanks to Meal Group I get fantastic lasagna delivered to me that my partner and I get to fight over.  Each of us has a different set of go to dishes we love making, and so instead of eating my own few rotating recipes, my partner and I get a much more varied set of meals to try, and we've been introduced to new ingredients that are now part of our repertoire.
 
Second, economy.  It takes as almost as much time to cook for 2 as it does for 10, so Meal Group is a huge time saver.  And it means that for 2 nights a week we get a delicious homemade meal, with no effort or cost to us. WIN!  Plus, because I work in the City and have a long commute, I find that instead of coming home exhausted and deciding to eat out or order take out, I get to have a home cooked awesome meal.  My partner and I used to eat out 3 to 4 times a week, and since joining Meal Group we eat out about once a week. 
 
Third, community.  Nothing brings you closer to people than sharing meals with them.  We touch base about who wants what, we know each other's preferences, give each other feedback on our meals and we get to be a big part of each other's lives. The community it creates has become a vital part of my life, and I'm so grateful to have such amazing women in my life.

2 comments: