Friday, November 12, 2010

The Ever Flexible Meal Group

Usually when it is my turn to cook on Mondays, I plan my day around preparing the meal for seven. I call Mondays my Sabbath because it is my one day off of work and I actually enjoy taking care of my home, and making a nice meal on that day. My rule is to only do what I feel like doing- so if I feel like hanging clothes on the line or organizing the basement I do it. If I don't, I don't guilt myself about it.

So this past Monday I felt like painting my bedroom. It felt great to get a fresh color on the walls and to use up old paint I had stored away. But, as these things usually go, my project took longer than expected and it was five o'clock before I started dinner- which was veggie chili. Luckily I soaked and simmered the garbanzo beans first thing in the morning, but that's about all I did. When Jen G. rang the bell at 5:30, I answered with a raw carrot in my hand, and paint in my hair. But Jen being the amazingly flexible person that she is simply called her partner to whip up something for their son while she hung out at my house waiting for the chili to be ready.

In the beginning of meal group this would have totally stressed me out. I would have felt like a failure that I didn't have dinner ready on time, and that Jen's child was home hungry and now her partner had to prepare something fast when they were counting on me. But it is testimony to how wonderfully casual and laid back our group is- we just roll with it when things go awry. I think that is most important when forming a group. It's important to remember the day you are supposed to cook and to fulfill that commitment, but we all know how things happen and can throw you off course- so not having to stress about being perfect is very helpful. Especially because food cooked by a stressed out person never tastes as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment